Friday, May 24, 2013

Weekly Blog Roundup

Here are a few blog posts that caught my eye this week. There were a lot of reactions to AAM, which sounded like a really wonderful conference. I was sad not to be able to go - I had such a wonderful time in Minneapolis last year - but I'm already budgeting and planning for NEMA's fall conference in Newport.

MW2013 Reflections: MOOCs, Museums, and Mistakes at edgital

I've said before that I am fascinated by MOOCs as one aspect of the future of education. This is a thoughtful post that really considers the MOOC experience in the context of museums and how they might use the model.

The Artist's Role in the Future of Historic Sites at Revitalizing Historic Sites Through Contemporary Art

I am admittedly not much of an art person (especially contemporary art), and I don't always agree that art makes everything, even history, better, but this is a great statement by Kate on her method of bringing historic sites into the here and now. There's a ton of potential here.

Unpacking the Objects and Their Stories: Takeaways from the 2013 AAM Conference at ExhibiTricks

This is one of the first really good, thoughtful posts about AAM that I've seen so far. Paul takes the themes of two different panels and ties them together in an exploration of how and why we prioritize authenticity at the price of visitor experience, and whether it all matters as much as we think it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment